Thursday, March 9, 2017

Day 9 Slice of Life

Day 9

So it appears that not only am I becoming a late night slicer but a last minute slicer!  These last two nights have almost passed me by. 

Today I wrote a poem about a broken friendship.  It’s really sad I’ll warn you, but I needed to get the words out.  A person whom I thought was my best friend…we couldn’t make it when push came to shove.  And…I guess that’s ok.  People come into our lives for certain seasons and that’s that.  It may not last more than the season that it’s supposed to (I really hope that made sense). So I decided to share this poem tonight.  Here goes…

So Called Friend

We’d been through a lot
Knew absolutely everything about each other
Best friends
At least that’s what I thought
When it came down to it
When push came to shove
You left me emptied and used
Left me hanging and confused
I thought we would stand the test of time
But there I was
Like a leaf left out in the rain
Soggy and wet
Then crispy and wrinkled
Someone walked on by
And on me they trampled
Crushed me into tiny pieces
That is what you did to me
I guess you did me a favor
A blessing in disguise
For what I didn’t realize
Was how much you put on me
You brought me down
Where was the sun
It had been gone too long
Because putting up with you
Left me dragging in the dark
The truth is
As the saying goes
“You never know who your true friends are
Until you are in need
You’ll be surprised who shows up”
So thanks for letting me know
That you are not
That kind of friend.

© 2017 Shannan Lee Williams

Until tomorrow…

6 comments:

  1. I have had a couple friends like this. It feels like a painful divorce. Unfortunately, it's a part of life--as you said. I'm sure you will miss your friend for a long time. I still miss mine and one was 15 years ago and the other was 8.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you had to go through this too, but unfortunately it's a hard part of life. Probably something you don't really ever "get over". Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Friendships, especially among women, can end very painfully because our expectations of each other are sometimes not realistic. It took me a long time to learn to let go of some friendships, and it was a painful process. I no longer approach new friendships in the same way, and that helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about the expectations. It's a hard thing to process losing these what you think would be lifetime friends. Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  3. Friendships can be difficult. I'm sure it felt good to write your thoughts and hopefully helps with the healing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they sure can and it definitely felt good getting these words out. Thank you for stopping by. I really appreciate it.

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs