Jan 17, 2016

Philippians 4:6-8 (my take on these verses)


Philippians 4:6-8 (NIV)

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things.”

 

This scripture really hits home for me.  I am on pills for anxiety and depression.  I have suffered from these two things since I was a kid.  My father was murdered when I was 9 years old.  I have had issues ever since.  I have tried going with without my pills many times throughout the years= not a pretty picture.  A few years ago I had a panic attack so bad, they though it was a stroke!  I was hospitalized for days.  I even wrote a poem on it.

I no longer have panic/anxiety attacks thanks to a tiny blue pill.  I also give thanks to the Lord.  I used to worry about everything, and I mean everything.  I would make myself sick with worry about things that were totally out of my control.  It was ridiculous.  But with God’s help I don’t really worry too much anymore.  I say, “it is what it is” and “we’ll deal with it”.

I want God’s peace…I wake up super early in the morning when it is peaceful- everyone is asleep and it is great.  It’s very peaceful- I love spending this quiet time with my Lord.

God tells us in these verses to think about the positive things…”whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent or praiseworthy.”  It’s so easy to dwell on the negative-especially when bad things keep happening in your life over and over.  It’s hard to see the positive.  But there is positive!  It’s out there ~ we just gotta grab hold of it and hold on!  We have hope.  We have our faith in God that everything will be ok.  Jesus is coming to take us home- heaven is home.  Earth is a place we are just travelling through.  Our real home is in heaven with our Lord and Savior.

I will strive to do my best and get by while here on earth.  I will try to hang on to the positive-try to keep my mind filled with positive thoughts.  Stay in the word, do my devotions, stick with my Bible studies and think of Jesus.  Spending time with him is the most important thing I can do.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your heart, Shannan. I, too, suffer from anxiety and depression. I am praying for you, sweet friend. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for reading and I will be praying for as well my friend <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing. I am therapist (will be writing about that on my blog). Thanks for sharing your story on here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, I am so sorry that I just now saw this!

      Delete
  4. I LOVED reading this! I have a problem in this area because I tend to let all the negatives surround me until I can't see the positives(or the good things). I think I should print this out and tape it to my forehead! Love your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beth, I need to tape this to my forehead as well, lol. Love you my friend.

      Delete