Thursday, May 16, 2013

Verse Mapping Matthew 6:33 for Bible Study Group


This is my 1st time “verse mapping” and I have no idea if I did this right or not, but it was very interesting and enlightening. 
Matthew 6:33 NIV
“But seek first His kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to Shannan as well.”
*This whole passage of scripture is talking about worrying, “do not worry”.
*Kingdom is the heart of the matter- is the reign of God that he brings about through Jesus Christ-the establishment of God’s rule in the hearts and lives of his people, the overcoming of all the forces of evil, the removal from the world of all the consequences of sin-including death and all that diminishes life-and the creation of a new order of righteousness and peace (according to the NIV Bible notes on Matthew 3:2)
*Righteousness the righteous life that God requires
          Other verses with kingdom and/or righteousness in them:
·         Matthew 3:2  “and saying, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near”
·         Matthew 5:20  “For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven”
·         Matthew 5:10  “Blesses are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven”
Other versions:
          New Living Translation:  “Seek the kingdom of God, above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need”  Matthew 6:33
          New Life Version:  “First of all, look for the holy nation of God.  Be right with Him.  All these other things will be given to you also.”  Matthew 6:33

This was a very enlightening experience digging into this verse.  I’m glad I chose to do it, and plan on doing this with other verses as well.  Basically I need to put my trust in God, like I have said before.  He needs to be number 1!  As long as I have Jesus in my life  I will have that constant companion.  I need to seek Him first, not second, third or fourth.  He needs to be number 1 and I am working on that. 
The Lord helped me through a very difficult time this week, when I could have easily shattered.  The normal me would have started to crumble but I didn’t.  I remained calm and stayed strong.

19 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing . Verse mapping is new to me and find it quite interesting because it makes you really think of what the verse is saying personally. I find I search the verse more also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes I am glad I finally did it. I thought it sounded so hard,, that's why I kept putting it off, but I really enjoyed it!

      Delete
  2. Hi Shannan! I was so happy when I read your post because on my blogs I expanded on two words in the first part of the scripture (seek, first) so it was nice to see the understanding you brought to the words kingdom and righteousness! Isn't verse mapping amazing? So glad you decided to try it! Thanks for sharing your heart here, also. It's exciting to see the transformations that are taking place in this study! Blessings! ~Shelly F (OBS Leader)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and yes verse mapping is amazing! I'm so glad I finally did it! I was several weeks behind in this study but I'm glad I didn't give up and chose this week to come back.

      Delete
  3. Shannan you did a wonderful job of verse mapping. Loved it. Thanks for sharing this blessing today. Debbie W. (OBS Facebook Group Leader)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shannan,
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!!!! You did a perfect job verse mapping! I'm so glad you did and shared it with us. You unpacked this verse in a way that it sticks.

    I love your paragraph at the end of your post. I'm thankful that the Lord got you through. You didn't crumble or shatter :) With God you remained calm and strong.

    Thanks for sharing on the blog hop! I know others will be so blessed by your post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Verse mapping has been new to me too and initially feels uncomfortable but it's been awesome how much the Lord has provided comfort and new meaning as he teaches to press forward in digging deeper in His word. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shannon,

    Great job on your first verse mapping. When I started this bible study, I had not heard of verse mapping but now am wondering how I ever studied the bible without it;) I have a feeling that in the future my husband will hear me say, "In a minute, I am verse mapping!!"

    Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. love that "in a minute, I am verse mapping"

      Delete
  7. Shannan, you have inspired and challenged me to be more diligent in verse mapping - not just hit and miss. I can see what a blessing this is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love verse mapping, too. It really opens up the verse to me and gives me so much more understanding. It has given me a new way to enjoy the Word of God. You did a great job. I wrote my blog on this verse as well. The name of mine is Choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yah it's really neat the way it did open up the verse.

      Delete
  9. I had never heard of verse mapping until I started this study. I think there's really no right or wrong way to do it... it's simply a matter of listening to what God is saying to you. Loved your insights!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of it either until this study and I'm so glad I tried it! Thank you

      Delete
  10. I haven't been able to get back on my blog until just now, and wow, thank you all for the wonderful comments!! Gosh, I feel so blessed right now. I sure needed this pick me up. I am having some serious health issues and reading these comments sure made my day!!

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs